Senior Manager, Global Benefits
Columbia Sportswear - Portland, OR
Posted: January 11th, 2017
This management position is responsible for overseeing global benefits for all Columbia Sportswear locations. Working closely with the Global Rewards Manager, creates strategy to include research, design, development and financial analyses of benefits. Must also have strong technical skills in the global benefits administration, vendor management, plan documents, completing legal filing, SOP’s, coordinating all aspects of an external audits, plan design and committees.
- In partnership with our global broker, research, recommend & implement global benefit plans for new and existing countries, including identifying short- and long-term strategies based on current and projected headcount growth.
- Manage annual plan renewals, identifying and presenting changes to offerings and cost-sharing as appropriate.
- Design and implement global benefit plans working with regional HR Directors/management including the global broker to assess plan performance and review, recommend, and implement oversight procedures consistent with local requirements and best practices.
- Working with local HR Management, develop and implement communication strategies to ensure effective promotion and understanding of global benefit offerings.
- Partner with regional HR and HR Operations team to evaluate global benefits administration model; clarify roles, confirm processes and implement desired changes.
- Monitor local market practices, trends and requirements to ensure benefit offerings remain market competitive, fiscally responsible, and legally compliant. Recommend strategies which appropriately balance employee interests and company priorities.
- Provides leadership and direction for the Benefits Team to ensuring that the administrative functions are performed in a timely and accurate fashion with in-depth analysis, reporting and follow-up including:
- Audits of benefit information in HRIS and ensures information is correctly entered for payroll deadline.
- Recommendations to improve efficiency and accuracy of processes.
- Follow through to internal functions including payroll, finance and HRIS to monitor and verify the accuracy of benefits delivered to employees and payments to providers.
- Counseling employees on benefits related issues.
- Overseeing the recognition, Service Awards and tuition reimbursement programs.
- Manages the LOA policy, process and function through the benefits team.
- Monitors the marketplace and researches new benefit options and creates proposals and analysis management to impro6ve our attraction and retention strategy.
- Stays abreast of changes in laws which impact benefit administration. Ensure compliance with US or state/federal regulations related to benefit programs including ACA, HIPPA, COBRA, ERISA, FMLA/OFLA, and USSERRA.
- Partners with broker, legal counsel and vendors in all benefits provided to the workforce.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Human Resources, or related field -or- equivalent work experience.
- Must have a minimum of 8+ years of global benefits management.
- Possess thorough knowledge of benefit administration practices and procedures.
- Ability to develop and present complex benefit information in a format designed to educate employees.
- In-depth knowledge of payroll processing and benefit deductions is essential.
- Requires excellent organizational and analytical skills in reviewing proposals and recommendations.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal skills to influence and communicate at both a strategic and analytical level.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and deliver presentations to small and large groups.
- Ability to work well with employees and managers and provide benefit explanations that are clear and concise.
About Columbia Sportswear
We're a family business gone global. Chairman Gert Boyle's parents — German nationals who fled Nazi Germany in 1938 — purchased a small hat company upon their arrival in Portland and named it Columbia Hat Company, after the river that inspired their new home. This humble beginning was of huge significance to the family, marking new found freedom and a fresh start. Her husband later took over, and after he died Gert ran the show, going from housewife to executive overnight. Today, her son Tim Boyle is our longtime president and CEO. The family — like our business — has experienced its ups and downs, but enjoying the outdoors together has always been an inseparable part of the program.
Columbia is made up of real people who are as passionate about the outdoors as you are. And, while our products are available around the world, we're based in the great Pacific Northwest, where majestic forests frame volcanic mountains and a rugged coast. This is where we hike, ride, fish, hunt, climb, camp, golf, paddle, run, and just enjoy fresh air with friends.